From time to time there are news stories about people who run into problems because they didn’t buy travel insurance. Sometimes, their families and friends have to come to their rescue and pay for their medical costs or to fly them back home.
It can happen even if you are only going to the U.S. for a few hours. Leaving home without travel insurance can end up being expensive.
The risks covered by travel insurance vary from insurer to insurer. Here are the main types of coverage:
- Emergency medical care;
- Trip cancellation and interruption;
- Accidental death or dismemberment;
- Lost baggage.
Check the coverage under your insurance policy.
Without travel insurance, your trip abroad could be costly if you have an accident or become ill.End of the warning
Important information about travel insurance
- Start looking up information about travel insurance as soon as you are considering travelling outside Québec.
- Sometimes, your employer’s group insurance or your credit card already offers some travel insurance coverage. Check into it so that you don’t end up with double coverage.
- You can buy travel insurance from an insurance representative, an insurer, in travel agencies and at certain financial institutions.
- Read through your contract and make sure you understand it. If you have questions, contact your insurer.
- If you have health problems, you must contact your insurer before leaving. You must also contact your insurer as soon as you change medication.
Do you have a specific or chronic health condition?
It’s very important to make sure that you understand how your current health could influence your travel insurance coverage.End of the insight