In order to help fulfill its mission, the AMF has set up advisory committees mandated to provide relevant insight into trends observed in various sectors and to strengthen its collaboration with stakeholders.
These committees, whose members are selected through a call for candidates, are composed of AMF representatives and outside members drawn from various fields and professions related to the sectors concerned.
- Financial Products and Services Consumer Advisory Committee
- Distribution Practices Advisory Committee
- Corporate Finance Advisory Committee
- Financial Advisory Committee
- Technological Innovation Advisory Committee (TIAC)
- Derivatives Advisory Committee (DAC)
- Mining Advisory Committee (MAC)
- Investment Products Advisory Committee (IPAC)
Financial Products and Services Consumer Advisory Committee
The mandate of the Committee is to present the views of financial consumers to the AMF. The Committee members are drawn from various sectors and professions and have a particular interest in defending and promoting the rights of consumers.
The Committee members are tasked with helping to identify and analyze AMF policies, rules, guidelines and other publications where they are likely to affect financial consumers; making any recommendations they deem useful regarding those publications; and presenting the AMF with their observations and recommendations regarding any topic of concern to financial consumers.
The Committee was created as part of the measures that came into effect on July 13, 2018 with the Act mainly to improve the regulation of the financial sector, the protection of deposits of money and the operation of financial institutions This link will open in a new window (S.Q. 2018, c. 23).
The members of the Committee are:
- Brigitte Boutin, chair of the Committee, former Deputy Ombudsman, Banking Services, at the Ombudsman for Banking Services and Investments (OBSI), holds a bachelor of laws degree from the University of Sherbrooke
- Francis Barragan, Corporate Strategy Advisor at Éducaloi
- Raymonde Crête, associate professor and Director of the Financial Services Law Research Group (GRDSF) at Laval University’s Faculty of Law
- Willie Gagnon, Director of the Mouvement d'éducation et de défense des actionnaires (MÉDAC)
- Maryse Guénette, Research and Presentation Director at Option consommateurs
- Audrey Létourneau, partner at the law firm LLB Avocats, s.e.n.c.r.l.
- Cynthia Lizotte, teacher at Collège de l’Assomption
- Laurence Marget, Executive Director of the Groupe de recherche en animation et planification économique (GRAPE) and President of the Coalition des associations de consommateurs du Québec (CACQ)
- Patrick Mignault, associate professor and Vice-Dean of Research and Graduate Studies at Sherbrooke University’s Faculty of Law
Distribution Practices Advisory Committee
The Committee’s mandate is to exchange with AMF representatives on a range of topics, including the distribution of insurance products and services and financial planning. Members will provide information, suggestions, focus areas and constructive solutions to help develop, interpret and implement the framework applicable to their sector. The members of the Distribution Practices Advisory Committee are:
- Karine Bélanger, Co-operators General Insurance Company
- Dany Bergeron, Financière Radisson inc.
- Joane Bourdeau
- Martin-Alexandre Campbell, Groupe Hélios Services financiers
- Guy Duhaime, Groupe Financier Multi Courtage
- Vincent Gaudreau, Gaudreau Assurances
- Richard Guimont, SSQ Financial Group
- Michel Kirouac, Groupe Cloutier
- André Lacasse, Services financiers Lacasse inc.
- Catherine Mainguy, Accès-conseils Mainguy-Rochette inc.
- Anne Martel, Martel et Martel Assurance commerciale et collective
- Suzanne Michaud, CAA-Québec
- Guillaume Parent, Finandicap
- Patrice Pouliot, Assurances Pouliot et associés inc.
- Richard Sills, Intact Assurance
Contact: François Vaillancourt
Corporate Finance Advisory Committee
The mandate of the eight experts on the Corporate Finance Advisory Committee is to examine and discuss statutory and regulatory proposals pertaining to the framework for corporate finance and mergers and acquisitions. The experts recommend ways to improve the development and implementation of this regulatory framework and discuss the various proposals relating to corporate finance and mergers and acquisitions.
The members of the Corporate Finance Advisory Committee are:
- Josianne Beaudry, associée, Lavery, De Billy
- Patrick Boucher, associé, McCarthy Tétrault
- Alison Breen, Vice President, Corporate Secretary and Divisional General Counsel, Investissements PSP
- Robert Carelli, associé, Stikeman Elliott
- François Carrier, directeur général et chef, Financement aux sociétés, Desjardins Marché des capitaux
- Managing Director and Head of Investment Banking
- Olivier Désilets, Partner, Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg
- Jean-Michel Lapierre, Partner, Fasken Martineau DuMoulin
- Sophie Lussier, Vice-President, Legal Affairs, Investments, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec
- Justin Méthot Vice President, Investments, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec
- Mélanie Meunier, Director, Legal and Assistant Secretary, SNC Lavalin
- Elliot Shapiro, associé, Norton Rose Fulbright
Contact: Lucie Roy
Financial Advisory Committee
The Financial Advisory Committee is mandated to examine and discuss statutory and regulatory proposals affecting the financial information presented by reporting issuers and provide feedback and suggestions for enhancing the development and implementation of the regulatory framework.
Another of the committee’s mandates is to discuss the accounting and certification standards applicable to reporting issuers and their auditors, specifically International Financial Reporting Standards and Canadian Auditing Standards, and to shed light on the issues surrounding their application.
The seven members of the Financial Advisory Committee are:
- Alain Leprohon, Vice President Finance, Mouvement Desjardins
- Tammy Mio, Associate Partner, Professional Practice, Ernst & Young
- Andrée Lavigne, Guest Professor, Department of Accounting Studies, HEC Montréal
- Diane Joly, Senior Manager – Risk Management and Accounting Research, Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton
- Nick Capanna, Advisory Services, Deloitte
- Giuseppe Funiciello, Partner, Audit et pratique professionnelle, KPMG
- Fahd Bouayed, associé directeur, Services conseil Bouayed
- André Lopresti, vice-président et chef comptable, Banque Laurentienne du Canada
- David Clément, associé, PricewaterhouseCoopers
Contact: Lucie Roy
Technological Innovation Advisory Committee (TIAC)
The AMF’s Technological Innovation Advisory Committee (TIAC) is a forum for discussion on fintech innovations and related regulatory, market efficiency and consumer protection issues.
The TIAC is composed of AMF Fintech Group representatives and the following outside members:
- Martin Caron, Vice-President, Strategy and Corporate Development, National Bank
- Liam Cheung, CEO, Tactex
- Laurent Féral-Pierssens
- Dominique Ferst, Managing Partner, Ferst Capital Partners
- Jonathan Hamel, Founder, Académie Bitcoin
- Alexandre Hovette, Managing Partner and Head, Regulatory Center of Expertise, Chappuis Halder & Co.
- François Lafortune, Co-Founder, CEO and Partner, Diagram/Power Financial Ventures
- Yves-Gabriel Leboeuf, Founder and CEO, Flinks
- Pascal Lefrançois, President, Inovestor
- Scott Loong, Co-Founder and CEO, Covera
- Franck Descubes, Senior Director, Group Performance & Investment at Desjardins Group
- Charles Morgan, Partner, McCarthy Tétrault
- David Nault, General Partner, Luge Capital
- Stéphane Rochon, President and CEO, Humania Assurance
Contact: Lise Estelle Brault
Derivatives Advisory Committee (DAC)
The Derivatives Advisory Committee is mandated to examine and discuss statutory and regulatory proposals pertaining to derivatives oversight. Itis a forum for discussing and exchanging information and recommendations for enhancing the development and implementation of the regulatory framework in this area. The mandate of the 10 experts who sit on the committee is to establish a structured link to assist AMF staff in understanding sector-related regulatory issues.
The members of the Derivatives Advisory Committee are:
- Alexandre Bannon, Director, Investment risk monitoring, Industrial Alliance, Insurance and Financial Services Inc.
- Jean-François Bernier, Managing Director, Interactive Brokers Canada Inc.
- Barbara Boucher, Director, Legal – Investments, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec
- Sabia Chicoine, Vice-President, Business Management, TMX Markets and MX Operations, Montreal Exchange, TMX Group
- Thomas Di Stefano, Vice-President, Compliance, Fiera Capital Corporation
- Renaud Émond, Managing Director, FX & Rates, Desjardins
- Élodie Fleury, Senior Manager, Regulatory Advocacy and Implementation Strategy – Financial Markets, National Bank of Canada
- Benoit Hamel, Director, Head of Canada Futures & Options and OTC clearing, Bank of America Merrill Lynch / Merrill Lynch Canada Inc.
- Marc-Antoine La Rochelle, Senior Legal Counsel, Société Générale Capitale Canada Inc.
- Michael Librizzi, Manager, Business & Trading Conduct Compliance, Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada
- Patrick Raynauld, Head – Internal Management and CIO, Caisse de retraite d’Hydro-Québec
- Stéphane Rozier, Senior Vice President, Head of Derivatives and Cash Equities, Commodities and Global Markets, Macquarie Capital Markets Canada Ltd.
- Danistan Saverimuthu, Manager, Legal Affairs, Intact Financial Corporation
- Sonia Struthers, Partner – Business, McCarthy Tétrault LLP
- Frédéric Théorêt, Managing Director, Global Markets – Quebec, CIBC Capital Markets
Contact: Lise Estelle Brault
Mining Advisory Committee (MAC)
The Mining Advisory Committee consists of 10 experts whose mandate is to foster, in collaboration with the AMF, exchanges with mining sector stakeholders to gain a better understanding of their concerns. Discussions focus in particular on issues related to financing and continuous disclosures, in addition to Regulation 43-101 respecting Standards of Disclosure for Mineral Projects.
The members of the Mining Advisory Committee are:
- Jeffrey Cassoff, Lead Mining Engineer, Mining and Metals, BBA
- Michel Champagne, General Manager, SIDEX LP
- Normand Champigny, President, CEO and Director, Sphinx Resources Ltd.
- Guy Desharnais, Director of Mineral Resources Evaluation, Redevances Aurifères Osisko Ltée
- Benoît Gascon, Lawyer, Cain Lamarre LLP
- Jacquelin Gauthier, Engineer and Geologist, Consultant
- Jean-Marc Lacoste, President & CEO Monarques Gold Corp.
- Ingrid Martin, CPA, CA, Consultant
- Stephen Poitras, Director, Investments, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec
- Robert Wares, Executive Vice-President, Exploration and Resource Development, Osisko Mining Inc.
Contact: André Laferrière
Investment Products Advisory Committee (IPAC)
The Committee's core mandate is to examine and discuss issues relating to the management and distribution of traditional mutual funds, exchange-traded funds, non-redeemable investment funds and individual segregated funds, as well as provide information and recommendations for enhancing the development and implementation of related regulations.
The members of the Investment Products Advisory Committee are:
- Marie Brault, Banque Nationale du Canada
- François Bruneau, Groupe Cloutier Investissements
- Yanic Chagnon, Manulife Financial
- Charles Danis, Fidelity Investments Canada
- Christine Décarie, I.G. Investment Management
- Simon Destrempes, R.E.G.A.R. Gestion Privée inc.
- Stéphane Dulude, PEAK Financial Group
- Manon Gauthier, Industrielle Alliance
- Eric F. Gosselin, Services financiers Éric F. Gosselin and PEAK Investment Services Inc.
- Jonathan Halwagi, Fasken Martineau
- Éric Landry, Desjardins Group
- Élyse Lemay, Great-West/London Life/Canada Life
- Robert Pouliot, Canadian Foundation for Advancement of Investor Rights (FAIR Canada)
- Mario Tremblay, Fonds de solidarité des travailleurs du Québec (FTQ)
Contact: François Vaillancourt