In order to help fulfill its mission, the AMF has set up advisory committees mandated to provide relevant insight into trends observed in various sectors and to strengthen its collaboration with stakeholders.
These committees, whose members are selected through a call for candidates, are composed of AMF representatives and outside members drawn from various fields and professions related to the sectors concerned.
- Financial Products and Services Consumer Advisory Committee
- Distribution Practices Advisory Committee
- Corporate Finance Advisory Committee
- Financial Advisory Committee
- Technological Innovation Advisory Committee (TIAC)
- Derivatives Advisory Committee (DAC)
- Mining Advisory Committee (MAC)
- Investment Products Advisory Committee (IPAC)
- Earthquake Risk Advisory Committee
Financial Products and Services Consumer Advisory Committee
The mandate of the Committee is to present the views of financial consumers to the AMF. The Committee members are drawn from various sectors and professions and have a particular interest in defending and promoting the rights of consumers.
The Committee members are tasked with helping to identify and analyze AMF policies, rules, guidelines and other publications where they are likely to affect financial consumers; making any recommendations they deem useful regarding those publications; and presenting the AMF with their observations and recommendations regarding any topic of concern to financial consumers.
The Committee was created as part of the measures that came into effect on July 13, 2018 with the Act mainly to improve the regulation of the financial sector, the protection of deposits of money and the operation of financial institutions This link will open in a new window (S.Q. 2018, c. 23).
The members of the Committee are:
- Patrick Mignault, Chair of the Committee, associate professor at Sherbrooke University’s Faculty of Law
- Francis Barragan, Chief Legal Officer and Strategic Advisor
- Raymonde Crête Ad. E., professor emerita at Université Laval’s Faculty of Law and Codirector of the Financial Services Law Research Group (GRDSF).
- Cynthia Lizotte, teacher at Collège de l’Assomption
- Laurence Marget, project manager and communications officer at the Coalition of Consumer Associations of Quebec (CACQ)
For any questions about the Committee, contact: Philippe Lebel
Distribution Practices Advisory Committee
The Committee’s mandate is to interact with AMF representatives on a range of topics pertaining to such issues as product and service distribution practices in damage insurance, claims adjustment, life insurance, financial planning and mortgage brokerage. Members are expected to provide information, suggestions, points to consider and constructive solutions for the development, interpretation and implementation of the frameworks applicable to their sectors. The members of the Distribution Practices Advisory Committee are:
- Geneviève Brochu, Desjardins Assurances générales inc.;
- Guy Duhaime, Groupe Financier Multi Courtage;
- Diane Dumont, Jonction 360 inc.;
- Richard Guimont, Beneva;
- Richard Harvey, Assurances Eterna inc.;
- Nancy Joyal, Beneva;
- Samuel Lajoie, Industrielle Alliance, Assurance et services financiers inc.;
- Catherine Mainguy, Accès-conseils Mainguy-Rochette inc.;
- Shirley Marquis, Services financiers Shirley Marquis inc.;
- Suzanne Michaud, Assurances auto et habitation CAA-Québec inc.;
- Sylvain Poirier, Centres hypothécaires Dominion – pretshypotheque.ca;
- Stéphanie Potvin, Hypotheca;
- Maryse Rivard, Deslauriers & associés inc.;
- Richard Sills, Intact Assurance;
- Anny Vaillancourt, Groupe financier du boisé inc.
Contact: Sylvain Dubé
Corporate Finance Advisory Committee
The mandate of the twelve experts on the Corporate Finance Advisory Committee is to examine and discuss statutory and regulatory proposals pertaining to the framework for corporate finance and mergers and acquisitions. The experts recommend ways to improve the development and implementation of this regulatory framework and discuss the various proposals relating to corporate finance and mergers and acquisitions.
The members of the Corporate Finance Advisory Committee are:
- Josianne Beaudry, Partner, Lavery, De Billy
- Alison Breen, Managing Director, Divisional General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, Investissements PSP
- François Carrier, Head of Investment Banking & Co-Head of Capital Markets, Desjardins Marché des capitaux
- Gabriel Castiglio, Executive Vice President, Chief Legal Officer and Corporate Secretary, Fiera Capital
- Vanessa Coîteux, Partner, Stikeman Elliott
- Olivier Désilets, Partner, Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg
- Jean Michel Lapierre, Partner, Fasken Martineau DuMoulin
- Michèle Lefaivre, Director, Legal Affairs, Investments, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec
- Renée Loiselle, Partner, Norton Rose Fulbright
- Isabelle Nazon, Partner, McCarthy Tétrault
- David Petrie, Managing Director, Public Companies and Québec Relationship Investing, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec
Contact: Patrick Théorêt
Financial Advisory Committee
The Financial Advisory Committee is mandated to examine and discuss statutory and regulatory proposals affecting the financial information presented by reporting issuers and provide feedback and suggestions for enhancing the development and implementation of the regulatory framework.
Another of the committee’s mandates is to discuss the accounting and certification standards applicable to reporting issuers and their auditors, specifically International Financial Reporting Standards and Canadian Auditing Standards, and to shed light on the issues surrounding their application.
The eight members of the Financial Advisory Committee are:
- Sylvie Béchard, Vice President, Finances, Mouvement Desjardins
- Nick Capanna, partner, audit & advisory services, Deloitte
- Karine Desrochers, Partner, Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton
- Giuseppe Funiciello, audit partner, KPMG
- Alessandro Ghio, assistant professor of accounting, Université Laval
- Tammy Mio, associate partner, national accounting and assurance, Ernst & Young
- Jessica Paul, Director, Assurance Group, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Marie-Annick Viau, Assistant Vice President, Banque Laurentienne du Canada
Contact: Benoît Gascon
Technological Innovation Advisory Committee (TIAC)
The AMF’s Technological Innovation Advisory Committee (TIAC) is a forum for discussion on fintech innovations and related regulatory, market efficiency and consumer protection issues.
The TIAC is composed of AMF Fintech Group representatives and the following outside members:
- Sébastien Bergeron, Banque Nationale;
- Sébastien Boisjoly, Finance Montréal;
- Rim Charkani, WALO;
- Layial El-Hadi, Fintech Cadence;
- Laure Fouin, Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP;
- Vincent Gautrais, Université de Montréal;
- Rheia Khalaf, IVADO;
- Alain Lavoie, LexRock AI;
- Marie-Chantal Leduc, BlockZero Innovations inc.;
- Ravy Por, Deloitte Canada;
- Alexandre Prince-Levasseur, KPMG;
- Véronique Tremblay, Beneva;
- Pascal Van Wynendaele, Desjardins.
Contact: Lise Estelle Brault
Derivatives Advisory Committee (DAC)
The Derivatives Advisory Committee is mandated to examine and discuss statutory and regulatory proposals pertaining to derivatives oversight. Itis a forum for discussing and exchanging information and recommendations for enhancing the development and implementation of the regulatory framework in this area. The mandate of the 14 experts who sit on the committee is to establish a structured link to assist AMF staff in understanding sector-related regulatory issues.
The members of the Derivatives Advisory Committee are:
- Adam Allouba, Chief Legal Officer, Montreal Exchange
- Nathalie Bockler, currently retired, previously Executive Director, Natixis Canada
- Barbara Boucher, Senior Director, Legal – Investments, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec
- Rosanna Bruni, Strategic Advisor
- Élodie Fleury, Managing Director, Regulatory Change Management, Business Transformation and Governance – Financial Markets, National Bank of Canada
- Marc-Antoine La Rochelle, General Counsel (Canada), Société Générale Canada
- Michael Librizzi, Director Trading, Montreal, New Self-Regulatory Organization of Canada, a consolidation of IIROC and the MFDA
- Sonia J. Struthers, Partner – Business, McCarthy Tétrault LLP
Contact: Dominique Martin
Mining Advisory Committee (MAC)
The Mining Advisory Committee consists of 11 experts whose mandate is to foster, in collaboration with the AMF, exchanges with mining sector stakeholders to gain a better understanding of their concerns. Discussions focus in particular on issues related to financing and continuous disclosures, in addition to Regulation 43-101 respecting Standards of Disclosure for Mineral Projects.
The members of the Mining Advisory Committee are:
- David Albert, Chief Executive Officer and Secretary, Ordre des géologues du Québec
- Luc Arsenault, Senior Listings Manager, Mining, TSX Listings, Toronto Stock Exchange
- Normand Champigny, Chief Executive Officer, Quebec Precious Metals Corporation
- Guy Desharnais, Vice President, Project Evaluation, Osisko Gold Royalties
- Mélissa Desrochers, ESG Integration Strategist for the Mining Sector
- Jacquelin Gauthier, Vice-President Exploration, Archer Exploration Corp.
- Carole Gilbert, Director, Global Legal, WSP Global Inc.
- André Laferrière, Investment Advisor, SIDEX
- Isabelle Leblanc, Vice-President, Mining and Metals, BBA
- Frank Zwarts, Senior Director, Investments Mines and Materials in Québec, CDPQ
Contact : Laurent Roy
Investment Products Advisory Committee (IPAC)
The Investment Products Advisory Committee’s mandate includes discussing issues relating to the regulation of the management and distribution of investment products—primarily mutual funds, exchange-traded funds, non-redeemable investment funds, individual segregated funds and structured products—and providing feedback and suggestions aimed at enhancing the development and implementation of the applicable regulatory frameworks.
The members of the Investment Products Advisory Committee are:
- Félicia Amilcar, Vice-President, Governance and Risk Management, Fondaction
- Edson Belhumeur, Director, Product Development iA Financial Group, Individual Savings and Retirement
- Marie Brault, Vice-President, Legal Services, National Bank Investments Inc.
- Natalie Brown, Vice-president, Legal and Corporate Affairs, Corporate Secretary and Vice-president, Human Resources by interim, Fonds de solidarité des travailleurs du Québec (FTQ)
- François Bruneau, Vice-President, Administration, Groupe Cloutier Investissements
- Yanic Chagnon, Head of Investment Product, Canada, Manulife Investment Management
- Charles Danis, Regional Vice-President, Eastern Canada, Fidelity Investments Canada
- Diane Dusabimana, Compliance Manager, National Bank Investments-Manufacturing
- Brigitte Gascon, Senior Vice-President, Operations and Development, Optimum Asset Management Inc.
- Maxime Gauthier, General Manager and Chief Compliance Officer, Mérici Services Financiers
- Jonathan Halwagi, Partner, Fasken Martineau
- Pierre Hamel, General Manager, Quebec Drug Insurance Pooling Corporation
- Élyse Lemay, Vice-President, Quebec Legal and Regulatory Affairs, Canada Life
- Caroline Montminy, Vice-President and Investment Counsellor, Burgundy Asset Management Ltd.
- Sébastien Vallée, Director, Investment Solutions Modernization Administrative Department, Desjardins Société de placements
Contact: Louis-Martin Ouellet
Earthquake Risk Advisory Committee
The mandate of the Earthquake Risk Advisory Committee is to promote dialogue and focus the efforts of various stakeholders so that the government, the public and the damage insurance industry are better equipped to confront the financial consequences of a major earthquake. Members are invited to share their experiences, concerns and opinions on this issue. They are also be asked to provide information, suggestions, points for discussion and constructive solutions for improving Québec’s resilience to a major earthquake.
The members of the Earthquake Risk Advisory Committee are:
- Pierre Babinsky, Director, Communications and Public Affairs, Québec, Insurance Bureau of Canada
- Alister Campbell, President and CEO, Property and Casualty Insurance Compensation Corporation (PACICC)
- Manon Carpentier, Director, Insurance Techniques, Actuarial and Insurance, Industrial Alliance Auto and Home Insurance
- Geneviève Garon, Actuarial Director, Personal Lines Insurance, Beneva
- Charles-Antoine Gosselin, Climate Change Economist, WSP
- Katherine Jacques, Vice-President, Actuarial and Business Intelligence, Groupe Promutuel
- Isabelle LaPalme, Executive Vice President, Branch Manager (Montréal), Gallagher Re
- Annie Latouche, Director, Systems Modernization and Transformation Division, Desjardins General Insurance Group
- Alain Lessard, Consultant and Former Senior Vice-President - Commercial Lines, Intact Insurance Company
- Nicolas Lussier, Claims Adjuster – General Manager of Western Québec, Authentik
Contact: Nathalie Sirois