The exceptional measure allowing the completion of the probationary period before passing the exams will end as of July 27, 2020. Applications received before that date will be processed, but no new applications will be accepted.End of the warning
Last update: August 25, 2020
Resumption of exams on the AMF’s premises in Montréal and Québec City in September
The Autorité des marchés financiers (AMF) wishes to inform you that exam sessions will resume on its premises starting on September 1 in Montréal and September 8 in Québec City.
Montréal and Québec City
The exam schedule for the month of September is now available on the AMF’s website. Exam sessions for the subsequent months will be scheduled on a gradual basis.
Elsewhere in Québec
Exam sessions elsewhere in Québec will resume over the coming weeks. The dates and locations of the sessions will be announced at a later time.
Additional information about the exams is available on the AMF's website.
Extension of exam
The AMF will extend the validity of exams in insurance. All exams that expired after March 13, 2020 will now be valid until December 31, 2020. The validity of training under the Life Licence Qualification Program (LLQP) that expired after March 13, 2020, will also be extended until December 31, 2020
Trainees or supervisors under quarantine
The following options are available to you:
Interruption of probationary period
Contrary to usual practice, we will be accepting an interruption of more than four weeks
How to proceed: Notify the AMF of the interruption using the Application to cancel or interrupt probationary period (pdf - 105 KB)This link will open in a new windowUpdated on 1st June 2017 form and clearly explain the reasons for it.
Upon resuming the probationary period, please complete the Application for authorization of probationary period, change in supervisor, extension of probationary certificate, add trainee’s vacation (pdf - 432 KB)This link will open in a new windowUpdated on June 1, 2020 form, making sure to select the “Extension of probationary period” box, and submit it to us.
If the firm uses E-Services and it is no longer possible to submit an “Application for authorization of probationary period” form, please submit the completed form using an “Other application.”
No fees will be payable for these new applications.
Change in supervisor
If only the supervisor is under quarantine, we will accept applications for a change in supervisor free of charge.
- If the new supervisor acts on behalf of the same firm or independent partnership as the original supervisor, the probationary period may proceed without interruption.
- If the new supervisor does not work for the same firm or independent partnership as the original supervisor, to reduce the impact on the duration of the probationary period, we are allowing the trainee’s record to be transferred to the new firm after nominative information enabling client identification has been struck out or redacted. This will allow the new supervisor to take over supervision of the probationary period with a knowledge of the learning that was acquired with the original firm prior to the interruption.
In all cases, please use the Application for authorization of probationary period, change in supervisor, extension of probationary certificate, add trainee’s vacation (pdf - 432 KB)This link will open in a new windowUpdated on June 1, 2020 form.
If the firm uses E Services and it is no longer possible to submit an “Application for authorization of probationary period” form, please submit the completed form using an “Other application”.
Interruption of probationary period
It is up to firms to determine the number of weeks of suspension that is reasonable so that the continuity of the probationary period is not adversely affected. However, the AMF reserves the right to modify or cancel the probationary period if it considers the length of the interruption unreasonable.
No fees will be payable for this new application.End of the warning
Is it permissible to supervise a probationary period remotely?
In order to limit physical contact and thereby slow the spread of the virus, the government is asking everyone who can work remotely from home to do so. In light of this, the AMF is allowing trainees to be supervised remotely. However, since trainees’ and supervisors’ obligations are unchanged, remote supervision will have to be carried out in such a way as to enable all parties involved to continue to fulfil their obligations.
How to proceed:
- If you are applying for authorization of a probationary period, inform us that supervision will be conducted remotely on the Application for authorization of probationary period, change in supervisor, extension of probationary certificate, add trainee’s vacation (pdf - 432 KB)This link will open in a new windowUpdated on June 1, 2020 form.
- If the probationary period has already begun, inform us that supervision was conducted remotely on the “Supervisor’s recommendation related to representative’s certificate” form that you will send to us at the end of the probationary period.
You are reminded that the probationary period is an opportunity to incorporate, in a real but supervised setting, the knowledge and skills required to practise professionally, while ensuring that consumers are protected.
Specifically, the supervisor must supervise the trainee when he or she meets with clients or collects information from them, approve the products and services offered by the trainee before they are recommended to the client (for insurance of persons) or within 24 hours of the transaction (for damage insurance), ensure the products or services meet the client’s needs, enter this approval in the client record and countersign, if applicable, any proposal or form, including notices for purposes of policy replacement.
The AMF may, particularly during inspections, ask to see evidence of meetings with the trainee (in person or by telephone) as well as evidence that the supervisor reviewed the trainee’s work or supervised the collection of information. If the computer system allows it, the supervisor’s approval may be entered electronically in the client’s file. Alternatively, the transaction may be approved by means of a clear and detailed e-mail exchange, a conversation recorded between the trainee and the supervisor, or an electronic signature.
However, the supervisor must have reviewed the entire client file as well as the proposal recommended by the trainee. Regardless of the form the approval takes, a record of it must be entered in the client’s file and the approval must be accessible upon request.
In addition, at least once a week, the supervisor must evaluate and review the tasks carried out by the trainee. The supervisor may exercise closer supervision if he or she deems it necessary. Meetings may be held via teleconference, provided the supervisor is able to have access to the client files and assess the quality of the trainee's work. However, the AMF believes that supervision, to be effective, cannot rely solely on summaries of the trainee’s meetings with the supervisor.
The supervisor must open a file for each trainee and enter, in particular, the tasks the trainee carries out, a summary of the supervisor’s meetings with the trainee and notes concerning the trainee’s progress during the probationary period. Please note that the record must be retained for a five year period, from the successful completion of the probationary period or its abandonment, by the firm or independent partnership for which the supervisor works or by the supervisor, if serving as an independent representative.
Work performed by trainees
Difficulty in meeting new clients
Since meeting new clients during this time of social distancing is difficult, is it possible for the probationary period to be recognized if the trainee deals with practical cases prepared by the supervisor?
During the probationary period, the trainee must be able to assume responsibility for a variety of files in order to cover all the types of products in the sector or class of sectors concerned. The period must provide him or her with opportunities to develop hard and soft skills specific to the sector concerned, which means having contact with clients.
If you are in a situation where only scenarios can be proposed to the trainee, two options are available to you:
- You can suspend the probationary period until the situation is more conducive to learning.
- You can continue the probationary period, in which case the trainee will obtain a representative’s certificate that is subject to a strict supervision condition lasting the same length of time as the probationary period.
How to proceed:
- Inform us in the “Supervisor’s recommendation related to representatives certificate” form that the probationary period consisted mostly of scenarios. If all other conditions are met and the recommendation is positive, we will issue a certificate to the trainee but subject to a strict supervision condition that will apply for the same length of time as the probationary period.
- During the period of strict supervision, the supervisor will have to continue to enter in the trainee’s file the tasks performed by the trainee, a summary of meetings and any other notes concerning the trainee’s progress.
- When this supervision condition expires, the supervisor will have to send us a new probationary period recommendation, at which time the trainee will receive a new certificate with no conditions attached.
Difficulty for the trainee in completing the 28-hour-per-week probationary period
- To provide the trainee with every opportunity for quality learning, the probationary period for a sector may be staggered over a period of 18 weeks, provided that 336 hours are completed during that period.
- For a probationary period relating to a class of sectors, the probationary period may be staggered over a period of 11 weeks, provided that 168 hours are completed during that period.
How to proceed:
- No form needs be completed in order to notify the AMF.
- However, the “Supervisor’s recommendation related to representative’s certificate” form that will be sent to us at the end of the extended probationary must clearly specify how the probationary period was staggered.
Transaction approvals and probationary period
Are the time limits for approving transactions or probationary periods unchanged?
In damage insurance, the supervisor must review the trainee’s work and countersign this review in the client’s file on the next business day. The AMF is allowing reviews to be countersigned within five days following the transaction. The review may be countersigned electronically, in a clear e-mail exchange or in the transaction approved in a telephone recording kept in the file.
Probationary period recommendation
The supervisor may submit the “Supervisor’s recommendation related to representative’s certificate” form within 20 days following the end of the probationary period.
Change in supervisor
It is possible to apply for a change in supervisor during the probationary period and throughout its extension. Applications for a change in supervisor can be made via E-Services. Firms without access to E-Services must complete the Application for authorization of probationary period, change in supervisor, extension of probationary certificate, add trainee’s vacation (pdf - 432 KB)This link will open in a new windowUpdated on June 1, 2020 form and mail it in to the AMF.