Norbourg - AMF to appeal reduced sentence for Vincent Lacroix
Montréal – The Autorité des marchés financiers (AMF) is seeking to appeal the decision handed down on July 8, 2008 by Québec Superior Court Judge André Vincent that reduced the sentence imposed on Vincent Lacroix by 4 months. Under the decision, Vincent Lacroix would serve a prison term of 8½ years.
The AMF conducted a thorough and in-depth analysis of Judge Vincent's decision and, in the interest of justice, decided to launch an appeal. The AMF believes that the initial sentence handed down in January 2008 against Vincent Lacroix by Judge Leblond, namely, a prison term of years less a day, should be upheld.
The motion filed in the Court of Appeal further confirms the AMF's position that economic crimes are serious and detrimental to society and should be harshly penalized with exemplary sentences for deterrence purposes.
The AMF believes that the initial consecutive sentences imposed for the three sets of charges on which Vincent Lacroix was found guilty should be reinstated. In his July 2008 decision, Judge André Vincent stated that only two of the three prison sentences were to be served consecutively.
On December 11, 2007, Judge Claude Leblond found Vincent Lacroix guilty on the charges brought against him by the AMF on March 9, 2006. In January 2008, Judge Leblond ordered Vincent Lacroix to serve 12 years less a day. And on July 8, 2008, Québec Superior Court Judge André Vincent reduced the sentence to 8½ years.
The decisions handed down by judges Claude Leblond and André Vincent and the AMF's motion for leave to appeal are available (in French only) under Current Issues/Norbourg on the AMF website.
The Autorité des marchés financiers (AMF) is the regulatory and oversight body for Québec’s financial sector.
— 30 —
Christian Barrette: (514) 940-2176
Québec City: 418-525-0337
- Prison term against Vincent Lacroix reduced to 5 years less one day : AMF carefully reviewing court of appeal decision
- Norbourg - Sentence against Norbourg boss reduced to 8 1/2 years - AMF might appeal
- AMF seeks over $31M against parties involved in distribution of Norbourg funds
- Vincent Lacroix sentenced to 12 years less one day
- Vincent Lacroix guilty of 51 charges - AMF satisfied with decision
- Norbourg - AMF to provide some $31 million in compensation
- La Presse article regarding Norbourg - AMF sets the record straight
- Norbourg - AMF to seek dismissal of motion for authorization of class action by representatives
- Motion for Authorization in Norbourg Affairs - AMF argues it fulfilled its obligations and stresses desire to unite recourses
- Norbourg: AMF seeks to unite recourses for benefit of investors
- Norbourg - Investor Protection Association Supports Recourse Launched by AMF
- Norbourg - Superior Court disqualifies class action attorneys
- Norbourg Matter - AMF seeks disqualification of class action attorneys
- Vincent Lacroix attempted to bribe AMF employee - AMF completes internal investigation and looks for criminal proceedings
- AMF files charges against Vincent Lacroix
- Norbourg Matter - Lacroix's motion regarding living expenses and professional fees dismissed
- Norbourg Affair - Claims to the Fonds d'indemnisation
- Norbourg - AMF launches suit for benefit of investors
- Bankruptcy petition against Vincent Lacroix - AMF protecting interests of investors
- Norbourg Bankruptcy - AMF to continue to defend investors
- AMF opposes motion filed by Vincent Lacroix
- AMF seeks to wind up Norbourg
- Ernst & Young - Letter to unitholders of Norbourg mutual funds and Evolution mutual funds
- Freeze order on shares held by Lacroix in Dianor Resources
- Norbourg ordered to cease activities; Assets frozen