Montréal – The President and CEO of the Autorité des marchés financiers (“AMF”), Jean St-Gelais, is pleased to announce the appointment of the five members of the Management Committee of the Fund for Investor Education and the Promotion of Good Governance (the “Fund”).
The members are:
- Jean-Marc Suret, Fellow CIRANO, Faculty of Business Administration, Laval University;
- Jean-François L'Her, PhD, MSc CFA, Vice-President, Research and Investment Policy Advising, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec;
- Stéphane Rousseau, Law Professor and Assistant Director, Centre de droit des affaires et du commerce international, Law Faculty, University of Montréal;
- Anne-Marie Poitras, Executive Director, Consumer Assistance and Compensation, Autorité des marchés financiers;
- Jean-Guy Ouellette, Manager of the Fund for Investor Education and the Promotion of Good Governance at the Autorité des marchés financiers.
The Management Committee of the Fund reports directly to the President and CEO of the AMF and is governed by a code of ethics and confidentiality. Its members are appointed for three years and their term may be renewed once. It is understood that this function is without compensation.
The mandate of the Fund’s Management Committee is to ensure that applications for financial support comply with Fund standards, have projects assessed by outside evaluators, determine the eligibility and quality of projects submitted to the AMF, review the progress report or final report in accordance with the Fund management rules, and make recommendations to the AMF President and CEO.
With $14.6 million at its disposal, the Fund consists of a reserve made up of various fees collected by the AMF and administrative penalties imposed on parties who fail to comply with a requirement prescribed by law or regulation.
By promoting sound management practices and setting the highest quality of governance standards, the Fund represents a unique way of supporting the development, vitality and expansion of Québec’s financial sector. The Fund provides support for projects in the following four areas:
- investor protection;
- promotion of good governance;
- investor education;
- improving knowledge of the financial sector.
Established on February 1, 2004, the Autorité des marchés financiers is the regulatory and oversight body for Québec's financial sector. The AMF consists of the Commission des valeurs mobilières du Québec, the Bureau des services financiers, the Régie de l'assurance-dépôts du Québec, the Fonds d'indemnisation des services financiers and the Inspector General of Financial Institutions.
— 30 —
Philippe Roy (514) 940-2176
Issuers, dealers, advisers and representatives: (877) 525-0337, dial 9 for English, then dial 1 for industry
Investors: (877) 525-0337, dial 9 for English,then dial 2 for consumers