Montréal - The market share of insurers constituted in Québec has increased for the second consecutive year, according to the 2011 report on insurance (pdf - 2 MB)This link will open in a new windowUpdated on 29 August 2012Rapport annuel 2011 - Assurances - Autorité des marchés financiers tabled today in the Québec National Assembly.
Increased market share of Québec insurers
After a slight drop in 2009, the market share of Québec insurers climbed to 51.7% in 2011, an increase of 1.3 percentage points over 2010.
In terms of insurance of persons, 50.8% of direct premiums were written by Québec insurers; in damage insurance, they accounted for 52.9% of the premiums. Direct premiums written in Québec therefore amounted to $19.9 billion, up 1.9% compared with 2010.
As at December 31, 2011, 287 insurers were licensed to operate in Québec, namely, 101 in personal insurance, 181 in damage insurance and 5 in personal and damage insurance.
More information about the insurance of persons and damage insurance industries in Québec is available in the 2011 report on insurance(pdf - 2 MB)This link will open in a new windowUpdated on 29 August 2012Rapport annuel 2011 - Assurances - Autorité des marchés financiers (in French only).
The Autorité des marchés financiers (the AMF) is the regulatory and oversight body for Québec's financial sector.
- 30 -
Sylvain Théberge : 514 940-2176
Québec City: 418-525-0337
Twitter: @lautorite This link will open in a new window
- AMF Hosts 16th Annual Conference of International Association of Deposit Insurers
- AMF selected to host 2017 Annual General Meeting of International Association of Deposit Insurers
- Improved solvency of insurers
- Distribution other than through a representative - Four insurers fined $80,000
- Market share of Québec insurers exceeds 50%
- Market share for insurers with a Québec charter nears 49% in 2007
- Larger market share for insurers with a Québec charter in 2006
- AMF has arrived at a settlement with Aviva, Scottish & York, Elite, and Traders General insurance companies
- AMF launches penal proceedings against 4 insurers for failure to file statistical data
- Quebec insurers with 47% market share in 2005
- Québec insurers held 44.1% market share in 2003