Professional Development Units (PDU)
Professional development is compulsory for representatives wishing to maintain a right to practise issued by the AMF.
A representative who practises in the sectors of insurance, financial planning, mutual funds or scholarship plans must take professional development training recognized by the Chambre de la sécurité financière, the Institut québécois de la planification financière or the Chambre de l’assurance de dommages of which he is a member.
This training allows him to accumulate professional development units which are entered in his PDU record.
The AMF does not manage a representative’s PDUs. The Chambre de la sécurité financière (CSF), the Chambre de l’assurance de dommages (ChAD) or the Institut québécois de la planification financière (IQPF) keeps track of a representative’s PDUs. Where applicable, these organizations notify representatives that they have not met their professional development requirements.
A person wishing to obtain information about his PDU record should contact:
- the CSF at 1-888-380-3011 or 514-380-3011
- the ChAD at 1-800-361-7288 or 514-842-2591
- the IQPF at 1-800-640-4050 or 514-767-4040
Suspension of your representative’s certificate by the AMF
- The AMF receives a notice of non-compliance from the organization of which you are member. Fifteen days before suspending your certificate, it sends you a notice prior to the suspension decision regarding your right to practise.
- The AMF then sends you the suspension decision, which states that you can no longer practise until you have accumulated the required number of PDUs.
To avoid a suspension
- If an error has been made in calculating your PDUs, you should contact the organization of which you are a member to have your record corrected. Where applicable, the AMF will receive a notice from the organization which will prevent your certificate from being suspended.
- You can have the sector or sector class affected by the suspension changed. If you want to practise in the sector or sector class again, you will have to apply for reinstatement.
- If you wish to contest your suspension, you can also send your observations and/or documents to the AMF within fifteen days of the date of the notice you received:
- via E-Services under Other application/request – Compliance tab in your secure file;
- by e-mail to Direction de la conformité (AMF Compliance) at the following address: [email protected], or;
- by mail:
Autorité des marchés financiers
Direction de la conformité
Place de la Cité, tour Cominar
2640, boulevard Laurier, 4e étage
Québec (Québec) G1V 5C1
Avoid having your certificate suspended by accumulating your PDUs:
- between December 1, 2015 and November 30, 2017 for the CSF and the IQPF
- between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2017 for the ChAD
Top of page