Can an application for authorization be submitted by mail?

Application forms and all required documents must be submitted to the AMF electronically via the File Transfer Service This link will open in a new window. Access is secured via an account ID and password, and uploaded documents are transferred using a secure HTTPS protocol.

How do I register for the AMF's File Transfer Service?

If you are a life insurer or a trust company, you are already registered for this service.

If you are an investment fund manager, send us an e-mail and the support team will contact you.

How long does it take to register for the File Transfer Service?

Registration is usually completed within 24 hours.

Who can provide VRSPs?

Life insurers, trust companies and investment fund managers registered with the AMF may provide VRSPs. To do so, they must:

  1. obtain authorization to act as administrator of a VRSP; and
  2. register the VRSP with the Régie.

Where can I find information about authorized administrators?

Does the Multilateral Agreement Respecting Pooled Registered Pension Plans ("PRPP") and Voluntary Retirement Savings Plans ("VRSPs") have an impact on my financial institution?

This agreement, which came into force on June 15, 2016, enables Québec administrators of voluntary retirement savings plans (“VRSPs”) to be exempt from the requirement to obtain a licence to act as administrators of pooled registered pension plans (“PRPPs”) under federal legislation and legislation of the other provinces that are parties to the agreement. In addition, under the agreement, administrators who have obtained a licence from the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (“OSFI”) to provide a PRPP may apply to the Autorité des marchés financiers (the “AMF”) for authorization to act as administrators of VRSPs where they meet the conditions set out in the agreement.

Only certain sections of the agreement apply to Québec, including those concerning recognition to act as an administrator and the exchange of information among supervisory authorities. In addition, since a VRSP is separate from a federal or provincial PRPP, Retraite Québec alone is responsible for its registration and supervision.

Therefore, before registering its VRSP with Retraite Québec, an eligible financial institution that holds a PRPP licence issued by OSFI should refer to the section Applying for authorization for information on the formalities and conditions for obtaining authorization to act as a VRSP administrator. A holder of a VRSP authorization who wishes to provide its PRPP in provinces that are parties to the agreement is exempt from the requirement to obtain a PRPP licence; however, its PRPP must be approved by OSFI. In this case, supervision of the VRSPs is carried out by Retraite Québec and that of PRPPs by OSFI.

Go to the Regulation section to consult the agreement This link will open in a new window

For more information about the Agreement, contact the AMF Information Centre.