It is important to read the Money-Services Business User Guide (pdf - 2 MB)This link will open in a new window for the 5 steps of the licence application process in detail.
1. Complete and submit the licence application form
The respondentThe respondent is the person authorized to send the documents with which the enterprise fulfills its statutory and regulatory obligations. The respondent is necessarily the natural person who operates the enterprise if it is a sole proprietorship, a director or an officer of the enterprise if it is a legal person, or a partner of the enterprise if it is a partnership. must complete and mail in the form ATM Operator – Licence application(pdf - 607 KB)This link will open in a new window.
After reviewing your form, a money-services business agent will send you a letter informing you of the next steps. You must then:
- Make any corrections to the information and documents sent in step 1.
You have 20 days to make corrections. Please contact the AMF staff member responsible for your file if you have any questions.
- Go to step 2.
2. Register for AMF E-Services
Any ATM operator wishing to apply for a licence under the Money-Services Businesses Act must use AMF E-Services.
This service allows you to send the required information in the next step (Step 3 – Disclose business relationships) quickly and securely.
|To register for E-Services |
follow steps 1 and 2 of the instructions for businesses.*
AMF Information Centre agents are available at any time at 1-877-525-0337 to help you with your registration.
When your registration is complete, contact the AMF staff member responsible for your file, who will guide you through the next step.
If you are:
- A foreign enterprise that is not constituted under the laws of Québec and does not have its head office or an establishment in Québec where it primarily conducts its activities;
- A natural person operating a sole proprietorship;
You cannot use AMF E-Services. The AMF staff member responsible for your file will send you instructions on how to disclose the information required in the next step (Step 3 – Disclose business relationships).
3. Disclose business relationships
We recommend that you contact the AMF staff member responsible for your file before beginning this step to avoid filling out forms unnecessarily and to simplify the disclosure process.
First, you must log in to AMF E-Services.
Using E-Services, disclose the following persons (or entities) and information:
- Directors (or partners) of the business;
- Owners (shareholders) of the business and the persons who control the business;
- Employees with functions related to the operation of the ATM (including those responsible for keeping the machine supplied with cash);
- Persons or entities (other than financial institutions) that lend funds to the business, as well as the officers and directors of such lenders (if applicable).
- The addresses of all establishments of the business, whether an ATM is located there or not;
- The list of all financial institutions offering services to the business. For example, you must disclose the name of the account holder and the account number;
- Information about the ATMs operated.
For any person disclosed, you must submit an appendix and a piece of photo ID.
Consult the appendices below to see which information you must provide when making a disclosure on-line.
When you have completed step 3, please allow at least 6 to 8 weeks to receive the decision from the AMF following the analysis of your application.
4. Pay application fees
Once the AMF staff member responsible for your file has analyzed your disclosures, you will receive an invoice via AMF E-Services. To this end, you will receive a message at the e-mail address you provided to the AMF informing you that you have mail in your inbox. You must access E-Services to view all e-mails.
What fees are payable?
- For each ATM operated: $216;
- For each person disclosed in step 3 and for the business applying for a licence: $121 for the issuance of a security clearance reportThe security clearance report is used to verify the judicial background and moral character of a person or a business. This report is issued by the Sûreté du Québec.;
- Payment form by mail (pdf - 56 KB)This link will open in a new window.
To avoid processing delays, please pay your invoice within 30 days of receipt.
5. Follow up on and complete the licence application process
Once the AMF has received all security clearance reports mentioned in step 4 and has concluded that there is no restriction to issuing a licence, you will receive confirmation, by regular mail, that you have successfully completed the application process.
This confirmation will also include stickers which you must affix to the ATMS you operate.
If, once your application or security clearance reports are analyzed, the AMF concludes that there is a restriction to issuing a licence, you will be asked to provide information to complete your file. The AMF will then make a decision regarding the licence.
You have now completed the application process.
On March 1 of each year, you will receive an invoice for the annual payment of fees. The total amount of this invoice will be $216* per ATM you operate at this date. You will have 30 days to pay this invoice.
*This fee is adjusted annually.
Forms and appendices
- Licence application form (pdf - 607 KB)This link will open in a new window February 2017
- Mail-in payment form (pdf - 56 KB)This link will open in a new window April 2017
- Appendix A - Statement of natural person related to the business (pdf - 167 KB)This link will open in a new window December 2015
- Appendix B - Statement of legal person related to the busniess (pdf - 336 KB)This link will open in a new window February 2017
- Appendix - E-1 Statement of Lender (Natural Person) (pdf - 120 KB)This link will open in a new window December 2015
- Appendix E-2 - Statement of Lender (Legal Person) (pdf - 112 KB)This link will open in a new window December 2015
- Appendix E-3 - Statement of officer Director or partner of lender (legal person) (pdf - 115 KB)This link will open in a new window December 2015
- Appendix E-3.1 - Statement of partner of a lender (legal person) (pdf - 92 KB)This link will open in a new window December 2015
- Appendix F - Identification of establishment of the business (pdf - 64 KB)This link will open in a new window December 2015
- Appendix G - Identification of financial institution (pdf - 66 KB)This link will open in a new window December 2015
- Appendix H - Identification of ATM operated by the business (pdf - 120 KB)This link will open in a new window December 2015