Decisions and Freeze and cease trade orders Securities
Montréal – In a decision handed down on February 27, 2009, the Bureau de décision et de révision en valeurs mobilières (BDRVM) maintained until June 4, 2009 the cease trade order and the order to cease acting as a securities adviser issued on February 4, 2008 against Mario Angelopoulos, who was attached to Triglobal Capital Management Inc.
- In its decision, the BDRVM took a number of aggravating factors into account:
- instances of misconduct by Mr. Angelopoulos carried on from 2003 to 2007;
- the respondent's lack of registration with the Autorité des marchés financiers (AMF) as a securities dealer and the failure to prepare a prospectus are serious violations of securities legislation and a basic infringement of the rights of investors;
- the respondent made representations on the quality of Focus products, although he had insufficient information about the investment offering;
- the respondent has experience in financial markets; he has acted as an investment fund dealer since at least 1997 and holds certificates in marketing and management;
- at the hearing, the respondent sought to minimize his involvement in the matter;
- the importance for professional market participants to have the competence, integrity and solvency required to maintain confidence in the markets as well as their integrity and efficiency.
The Autorité des marchés financiers (AMF) is the regulatory and oversight body for Québec's financial sector.
— 30 —
Sylvain Théberge: (514) 940-2176
Québec City: 418-525-0337