If you have incurred a loss, call your insurer as soon as possible. The insurer will ask you a few questions and tell you what will happen next—whether you can receive certain services immediately and whether a claims adjuster will visit the location of the loss. The insurer will also tell you what you should do to protect your property.

Your claim will likely be sent to a claims adjuster, who will look after your file and co-ordinate any work that has to be done. You may also wish to read the Implementation Directive of the Autorité des marchés financiers pertaining to the definition and exclusive activities of claims adjusters (pdf - 58 KB)This link will open in a new window. It will tell you what the adjuster’s obligations are.

Practical tip
Agents from the AMF’s Information Centre can answer questions and help you deal with your insurer. 

If you are dissatisfied with how your insurer is processing your claim, you can file a complaint with the insurer. To do so, use the complaint form (pdf - 95 KB)This link will open in a new window. A letter addressed to your insurer outlining the reasons for your dissatisfaction would also be acceptable. Make sure you indicate what outcome you are hoping for. The AMF’s Information Centre can also help you with this step.

When the insurer receives your complaint, it must:

  • Send you an acknowledgment of receipt;
  • Examine your complaint fairly;
  • Send you its final position in writing;
  • Indicate, if its response is negative, that you may ask for your file to be transferred to the AMF.

If you are still dissatisfied, you can ask that your file be transferred (pdf - 52 KB)This link will open in a new window. The AMF will review your file and let you know whether it believes it can help you obtain a satisfactory settlement. For example, it could offer you conciliation and mediation services.