Here’s how to limit problems with your insurer.
While you have insurance
- Pay your premiums on time. If you miss a payment date, your insurer could cancel your policy.
- Notify your insurer of any new situation that could increase its risk. For example:
- You now need your vehicle for business (to visit clients, for example).
- You’re starting a new job and will have to travel farther to work.
- You often lend your vehicle to another driver.
- You’re paid for transporting passengers.
- You’re moving.
- You’ve had an accident.
- You make expensive upgrades to your vehicle which increases its value (for example, you install a high-end stereo system). Remember to keep your invoices! You might have to prove that you actually made these upgrades.
If its risk increases, your insurer could decide to raise your insurance premium. In some cases, it could even cancel your contract.
When you renew your automobile insurance
- Look at what your insurer is offering. Do you want to keep the same coverage and deductibles?
- If you want to change insurer, shop around for new insurance and inform your current insurer before your policy ends. If you wait until your policy expires, you’ll end up paying a fee.
- If your insurer didn’t send you a written notice explaining the changes to your policy, or if you didn’t ask your insurer to make changes, your automobile insurance will be renewed for the same premium and term. If you don’t receive an offer to renew your policy, get in touch with your insurer or your representative.
Alert Your insurer must notify you
If your insurer wants to modify your policy by, for example, increasing the premium, it must notify you 30 days before the renewal date.End of the warning
Have a problem with your insurer?
Documentation and tools
- Let's talk insurance! (pdf - 134 KB)This link will open in a new windowUpdated on 29 October 2018 The purpose of this fact sheet is to inform you of your rights. It does not relieve the insurer or the distributor from their obligations toward you.
- Choosing Auto Insurance (pdf - 382 KB)This link will open in a new windowUpdated on 25 February 2013
- My First Car Insurance Policy (pdf - 1 MB)This link will open in a new windowUpdated on 18 July 2012
- Insurance sold by Lenders and merchants (pdf - 972 KB)This link will open in a new windowUpdated on 29 September 2017